Friday 23 July 2010

Shaman Shop Cusco Rip Off

I wanted to post a warning to the interwebs about the deception peddled by the the Shaman Shop in Cusco, owned and operated by Shaman Kush, offering Ayahuasca ceremonies just outside Cusco.

While the Shaman Shop Cusco seems to have a good reputation online built up over many years I was not treated well by Kush. Here's my story:

After much research online I found many glowing reviews of the Shaman Shop Cusco and Shaman Kush himself. I decided to pay a visit and booked an Ayahuasca ceremony. I was told by Kush's wife (who works in the shop) to meet at the shop where I would be taken to Kush's property to participate in the ceremony with Kush. I was shown pictures of the man himself and the dedicated room he has built near his house to perform the Ayahuasca ceremonies.

I prepared by fasting for over a day and refrained from drinking water for more than 4 hours before I was expecting to drink the Ayahuasca with Kush.

On arriving at the Shaman Shop Cusco at 2 minutes to 6 I met with another man who claimed he would be my Shaman for the evening. This was not Kush. Things went downhill from there.

After a long wait in a broken down Land Rover I met Kush who would drive us up to the property. He seemed like a decent guy on first impressions. Unfortunately it seems that his once respected service is no longer to be respected.

On arriving at the property he informed me that this other guy would be my Shaman and asked if I had any questions. I said I'd done a lot of reading on Ayahuasca so I felt I had a good idea of what to expect. Kush left and the ceremony began.

After some brief, bad chanting I was poured a glass of brown liquid from a bottle on the shamans table.

I drank and we waited.

About 40 minutes later the Shaman began singing some more songs and playing his wind instrument poorly. I began to feel some effects and presumed the concoction was beginning to kick in. Unfortunately it went no further. The medicine was false. I'm sure it was not Ayahuasca - I felt a bit dizzy but little else. The shaman continued singing his tunes and playing with his rattles. One of the songs had lines that ended with "falso medicina" - or fake medicine.

The whole evening was a con job - taking advantage of an innocent tourist who made the mistake of admitting this would be my first time imbibing Ayahuasca. Easy prey for a business man geared towards profit and not spiritual healing or enlightenment.

It may be that the reputation of Kush and his Shaman Shop in Cusco used to be one of credibility - however time has clearly driven the old man into taking advantage of tourists who he think don't know any better. The cheek of the pseudo shaman - who did not drink the brew himself - to sing the "falso medicine" line really drives this home.

I don't recommend paying for Kush's services unless you can be sure that he will be giving you the real thing.

For me this experience was hugely disappointing - I was expecting to have a mind altering experience for long hours into the night. Instead, I spent the night in a freezing cold room with a stinking, fat, snoring peruvian man who had no intention of providing the service that I was sold. After another hour or so he began playing some really impressive jungle music on his cell phone and promptly fell asleep (after spending most of the evening yawning).

In short, The Shaman Shop in Cusco sells fake medicine to unsuspecting tourists. Avoid at all costs.

Shaman Shop Cusco

12 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I hope you are well. Im sorry you had such a bad experience with one of Kush´s shaman friends. I agree it must look really bad when the shaman is yawining all the time and didnt take any of the brew. I have to say on their defense though that it was your responsability to ask for more and make your money worth.FOr one things I know for sure and that is that his brew IS the real thing. It very often happens to first and second timers that ayahuasca does nothing at all or not more than " feeling a bit dizzy but little else". I will let them know that it is important to let people know they can ask for as much as they want during the ceremony. I know them for a little bit and I know they are serious in what they do. YOu were not lucky and next time you participate in a similar ceremony know you can take as much medicine as you want. But often it is you who has to speak up meaning that they wont say its ok to ask for more. As for the falso medicine, well... do you speak spanish ?? cause I dont know all his songs but of course he wouldnt sing such a thing, why? simply cause its not false!!!. AYahuasca can take you to the place where you wanted to go so i wish you have another opportunity to explore the inner worlds of mother ayahuasca.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there

    Thanks for this post. I was considering Kush also. I wonder why this person took over. Although I have done some light reading on ayahuasca and even I have read that often you will not feel anything and may not have visions. Could that be what happened in your case? Also whether you have visions depend on your diet, which OPTIMALLY includes fasting from certain foods up to three days before.
    At least I know from the other person's comment that if I dont feel anything, I'll let someone know and get some more.
    I have a pretty hard stomach. When I was 16 and drank for the first time, I downed three tequila shots and felt nothing. We'll see how ayahuasca goes for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I now Kush, 4 years ago I have san pedro ceremony with him, and it was ferst timein mi life. It was amasing ferst 2 ouers, but then i was feel very fast heart beat, it was tahicardy, and it was very long, like 4 ours, i was thinking, that I realy daing,and I was too scaried, but then I understand, that the tahicardy finish when I will have a chois in my life, and realy - when I understud whot I need to do with mi life - avrithig stoped, and I was filling so happy)))))
    But now, Inow, good shamans live dipper in the jungle!!! If you wont to have graitexpirians, you need to go to the amazonka, and looking for a "your shaman")))
    sorry my english (im russian))))))

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is bang up to date: last night had a very special ceremony with several others with Kush. Let me say that this operation exceeded my expectations significantly. He had sweveral very capable assistants, they looked after us wonderfully. Visiting throughout the night, wrapping us in blankets, performing special acts to help us, walking me to the toilet etc. The music and icaros and chantings went on for hours without feigning. The choice of medicines and the doesing was excellent. The place was superb with amazing atmosphere, we felt so safe and special. Everything was provided, transport, excellent bathroom facilities, bottled water, beds and endless blankets and great breakfast.

    It is so important to have a sensible shaman and a caring environment - this is something we had last night and it was beyond reproach. When one has wonderful locals taking care of you in this way, it is a real privilege - if they had let me wander off myself I likely would have fallen on the path in the middle of the ceremony. I will never forget that face grinning as the light danced around the image. You can trust this man - just be clear what you want before the ceremony and then put yourself in ntheir hands, stop worrying, prepare perhaps more rigorously than the minimum, but this is a wonderful space for those relatively inexperienced.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has lead me to my personal fascination with knowledge of self and the universe we inhabit. Shaman And Ayahuasca I share my experiences, opinions, and information I have come across with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My response was not allowed as it is too long, more than 4,096 characters.
    I'd like to send it to you in an email Boat Builder but you seem to have made yourself anonymous. Really, your post is such sillyness. Please email me for my full response, I,m sure you'll find it edyfying. Wether you contact me or not, do please consider deleting this blog. the people your targeting are good people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello!

    I met Kush in Cuzco and had a ceremony with him and one of his assistance. I also did some touring with a different person working in the store and I can only say the experience was wonderful. You had lots of expectations from reading your text. I can only say one thing: After dozens of ceremonies worldwide, I learned the madrecita has very unique ways of showing you her powerful energy. You probably should consider not trashing one person's reputation based on one single experience. Kush is a wonderful personal and so are his assistants. For those thinking that going to the jungle they'll get a better experience, I only have one answer: Any time you decide to meet the abuelita, she already knows what you need. Each experience is unique and teaches you something. If you pay some attention to what you wrote about your feelings before, during and after the ceremony, you'll be able to learn a great deal about yourself. Have nice day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just been and done Kush's "ceromony" and can tell you he is not trashing anyone, he actually put it nicely. His review may stop others making the same mistake I just did. I ended up getting a lift home from the place after it didn't work and the fake sharman spoke with his friend for the first hour, "ayahuasca" was completely not what anyone in my group had seen or tasted before and 1 has been to over 100 ceromonies. Highly recommend avoiding these frauds at all costs.

      Delete
  8. My name is Rowan from Australia, I met Kush late last year and after doing one Ayahuasca ceremony with him I was blown away by the medicine and Kush’s gift as a shaman. Discussing the events of the previous night on the way down to town he offered me the opportunity to stay with his family and learn more. I ended up staying for a month and in exchange for the large amount of ceremonies I attended (Ayahuasca and San pedro) as well as ongoing guidance and support I received from Kush and family, I helped build a sweat lodge and paid rent which was practically nothing. So I would say Kush is definitely not out to take advantage of tourists. Kush is the real deal, a great shaman and spiritual teacher. I implore you to take down this site, it saddens me to see such vindictiveness toward such a gentle soul.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are not shaman, they are charlatan, kush's wife did aura reading. It was a really fake. Don't go and don't spend your money!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do not trust this place at all! What scamming scum bags. Fake ayahuasca, fake sharmans that spoke to each other for the first hour of the ceremony. The "sharmans" did not even stay in the room with us. It did not feel safe so the small group of females that we are asked to leave at 11.30pm after no effects except vomit and where told we would be dropped to our hotel which we where not, we where dropped into town and told to make our own way. Looking forward to paying their shop a visit in the morning. Did anyone manage to get a refund or do I need to show these assholes that they actually gave more demons then they helped with?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have sat with Kush in 2008 and again in 2016. the difference in his operation during that time frame is staggering. Let's just say the money is rolling in. The first time was beautiful and Kush was present the entire time. The second visit was horrible and Kush left early on and another guy who I did not know took over. He did not know how to create and hold a safe space for people experiencing hallucinations etc. from the effects of the ayahuasca. Also, other guys were coming and going from the dome all night. It was highly distracting. I felt some bad for some new people who were there with us. Never again!

    ReplyDelete